The sun is shining and spring has officially sprung in the port city. As the seasons are changing, the uncertainty in the air is definitely at an all time high. Our community and local businesses need our help! Many businesses like restaurants, hotels, and even the healthcare industry are having to adjust how they operate and how they serve our community. While we want everyone staying healthy & practicing social distancing, now is the time to come together as a community and support local Wilmington businesses by showing them extra love. If you’re looking for ways to show your local support, while staying safe at the same time, check out the list below.
- Continue to support local restaurants
- Order take-out (or delivery) — Throw out that grocery list, skip the long lines & get out of cooking dinner tonight
- Purchase gift certificates for a future meal — Many local spots, like Manna, had to make the difficult decision to temporarily close their doors; supporting them in this way is a great option
- If you can, pay ahead over the phone or online as to limit your contact with restaurant staff
- Tip just like you would if dining in (or even more)
- Some local joints are even offering meal kits & larger family-style meals that can be frozen (in case you do end up stuck at home) — Live.Eat.Surf has some great options you can check out on their Facebook or Instagram, and several other places have this option as well so be sure to ask when you call!
- Shop local produce stands! Port City Produce and Lewis Nursery & Farms both announced they have opened early for the season in order to help accommodate demand. Curbside pick-up is an option as well. Nothing like fresh fruits and vegetables!
- Place an online order from a local shop & have it delivered to your door! Shopping your favorite boutiques for a new summer wardrobe or even a gift is super easy online!
- If you don’t currently need anything, buy a gift card (or a few) to use at a later date
- Bloke Apparel downtown is currently offering a discount on all online orders — You can learn more & get that coupon code from their Facebook page
- Shop Rumor is also currently offering an online discount of 20% off using code THANKYOU20
- Share your favorite local spots with friends & family — Midtown Deli & Grill is one of our favorites
- Follow local businesses on social media & interact to show your support
- Leave a nice review on Google or their business Facebook page
- After purchasing from a local business, share a photo to social media & tag them
- Support the Wilmington arts from home (learn more in this article from StarNews) — Our arts community has taken a big hit during this time with several theatre performances coming to a halt and being cancelled altogether. Local musicians are unable to work due to most gig opportunities being shut down as well.
- Consider donating to local charities that are helping those who need it most right now
During a time like this it’s important to spread love and a positive attitude. People helping people is what’s most important, and we are so proud of how the Wilmington community is already coming together.
Some of our neighbors are stepping it up even more by giving their personal support to those in need
Free donut for New Hanover County children
Wake N Bake Donuts is offering a free donut to New Hanover County children in need of breakfast while schools remain closed. Learn more & reach out to them on their Instagram or Facebook!
Feeding the children of our community
Sweet N Savory Cafe has been packing up bagged lunches (around 200+ a day) to provide to children who are in need due to missing breakfast or lunch from school. You can learn more about their efforts on their Facebook page or Instagram!
Buy a Meal, Give a Meal, Save a Job
King Neptune and Brunches have partnered together to give back. With every meal purchased, they will donate a meal and invest in local small businesses. You can learn more on their Facebook or Instagram pages. (King Neptune’s Instagram | Brunches Instagram)
There are so many other businesses that, while possibly struggling themselves, are choosing to give back to those less fortunate. This is what makes our community so amazing! We could never list all of the local businesses and their good work in this post, but Port City Daily has put together a pretty extensive list of local business information you can read here. The StarNews also has an ongoing list of local restaurant info and how you can continue to “dine” with many local spots during this time. Click here to check out the entire list.
Without the generous donations and support from all of us in Wilmington, we wouldn’t be as strong as we are. By spreading kindness and standing together, we will get through this and come out better on the other side. Support local and hang in there friends…WE ARE WILMINGTON STRONG!
*please be sure to contact a restaurant or shop directly to confirm any of these details that might have changed since the publishing of this post.