TIPS TO A HEALTHIER, HAPPIER YOU!
We celebrate Men’s Health Week every June beginning the week leading up to Father’s Day. During this time, Delaney Radiology wants to remind you to pause and take a moment to take care of yourself. Here’s a few small things you can do make yourself a priority and be one step closer to a healthier, happier YOU!
1. Keep yourself hydrated!
A few facts about water…
- The more hydrated your body is, the more likely you are to be happy. Dehydration can impede your brain’s serotonin levels and increase stress in your body.
- Drinking water has all sorts of benefits- from lowereing blood pressure to helping weight loss.
- The amount of water you should be drinking daily depends on your activity level, climate, weight, diet and other lifestyle factors.
- According to some nutritionists and water experts, this simple calculation can give you a good idea of how much water you should be drinking daily.
Take 1/2 your body weight and drink that amount of water in ounces.
Add an additional 12 oz of water for every 30 minutes of exercise.
(Example: Someone weighing 200 pounds and runs for 30 minutes, should drink a minimum of 112 oz of water daily.)
Note: If you live or work in high temperature climates or spend more than an average amount of time in the sun, you mayneed to add additional ounces to your daily regimin.
Lose the stress!
3. Load up on sunscreen!
A few facts about skin cancer…
- A person’s risk for melanoma doubles with 5+ sunburns.
- 1 in 5 Americans will develop skin cancer in their lifetime.
- About 90% of nonmelanoma skin cancers are associated with exposure to the sun’s UV rays.
- Regular daily use of an SPF 15 or more sunscreen reduces risk of developing squamous cell carcinoma by 40%.
4. Stay current on well visits!
Preventative health care is the most important thing that you can do for your health. Regular well visits with your physician allows them to get to know you and your base line health better. Speak to your physican about any issues that you may be having as soon as it occurs because early detection is key to treatment. You may be recommended to get a specific exam run. These tests are often necessary to know if there are underlying issues. Talk to your physican and see if any of theses imaging tests are right for you. Be in the know about your health care.
Learn more about Delaney Radiology’s services and how we can help you, here.